WItness Magazine is currently reading for our inaugural Witness Literary Awards in Fiction, Poetry and Non-Fiction. Witness seeks to highlight the role of the modern writer as witness to their time. We welcome work that declares and/or demands a new perspective to the everyday condition, and stories that contextualize American experience, highlight issues of global concern, grapple with the relationship between the personal and the political (however defined), and/or keenly observe interior/exterior landscapes.
In order to maximize your submission's chances of winning, please familiarize yourself with Witness--past issues are online.
One winner in each genre will receive $500 and publication in the 2020 Spring print issue of Witness. One runner up will receive $250 and publication in a future issue of Witness. All contest entries will be considered for publication in our Spring 2020 print issue.
For poetry, the judge is Heather Lang.
* Please submit 1-3 poems (Word doc preferred).
* As the judging for the contest is done blind, we ask that you leave all identifying information off the manuscript itself. Please include all identifying information and contact information in your cover letter.
* Please include a title of titles in the Title Box on the submission page.
* Entry fee is $10
* Simultaneous submissions are fine if withdrawn immediately upon acceptance elsewhere.
* Writers associated with the judge, Black Mountain Institute, or UNLV are not eligible to submit.
We look forward to reading your work!