WItness is currently reading for our inaugural Witness Literary Awards in Fiction and Poetry. Witness seeks to highlight the role of the modern writer as witness to their time. We welcome work that declares and/or demands a new persepctive to the everyday condition, and stories that contextualize American experience, highlight issues of global concern, grapple with the relationship between the personal and the political (however defined), and/or keenly observe interior/exterior landscapes. Please do familiarize yourself with Witness--past issues are online at https://witness.blackmountaininstitute.org
For fiction, the judge is Lesley Nneka Arimah.
One winner in each genre will receive $500 and publication in Witness. One runner up will receive $250 and publication in Witness. All contest entries will be considered for publication.
* Please submit one story (8,000 words maximum)
* All files must be saved in Microsoft Word (.doc or .docx) or Rich Text Format (.rtf).
* Work should be double-spaced and set in a standard 12-point typeface.
* As the judging for the contest is done blind, we ask that you leave all identifying information off the manuscript itself. Please include all identifying information and contact information in your cover letter.
* Please include a title of titles in the Title Box on the submission page.
* Entry fee is $10
* Simultaneous submissions are fine if withdrawn immediately upon acceptance elsewhere.
* Writers associated with the judge, Black Mountain Institute, or UNLV are not eligible to submit.
We look forward to reading your work!